Friday, March 20, 2009

False Alarm

We got to take a trial run to the hospital yesterday. I think we did pretty good. It started Wednesday night around 2 a.m. I woke-up with back pain and some minor cramping. This lasted for 4 hours. By 6 a.m. I was felling better. I had a regularly scheduled dr. appointment so I went and told him what had been going on. He checked my cervix and I was 1.5 cm dilated but not close to being effaced and he sent me on my way.

I felt pretty good all morning until 1:30 and I started having contractions in my back coming around to my belly. I let this go on for 2 hours while I uncomfortably worked. By 3:30 the contractions were more regular and getting very uncomfortable so I went home to take a hot bath and rest. I did that for about an hour and nothing changed so I called the doctor. They told me to come in when the contractions were 5 minutes apart and painful. So Mike got the boys off the bus and we all packed our bags and headed out the door. Needless to say, there was a lot of traffic and I was in a lot of pain. Everyone was very quiet.

Once we arrived at labor and delivery they put me in triage and checked everything out. I had dilated to 2 cm and was about 75% effaced. The doctor sent me walking for 2 hours and then checked me again. This time I was a little over 2 cm. I couldn't believe it, it sure felt like I had progressed more than that.

While I was walking, Mike took the boys to Aunt Karen's house for the evening. By the time he came back I was exhausted and they didn't want to send me home just yet so they put me in my own room and gave me a nice little cocktail of morphine and some other drug. They called it the relaxation therapy. It was very nice!!! I was out within 20 minutes and was dead weight. I would sometimes wake up feeling contractions or hearing something but I couldn't move and didn't care. My instructions were to sleep until I felt very strong contractions or until I woke-up on my own. I woke-up around 1:30 and the nurses checked everything out. My contractions has stopped!!!!!!! They gave me some Ambien sent me home.

Needless to say, I was starving. I had only eaten a blueberry muffin and a banana the whole day. We stopped by Stake N Shake at 3:00 a.m. and I inhaled a burger, fries, milkshake, and a diet coke! YUM. By the time I got to bed the Ambien was working and I slept great until 8 a.m. which puts us pretty much to present time. I am still really groggy and have started to have contractions again. I am not falling for this trick this time! We might have a baby at home, get the towels and hot water!

Matthew and Adam were upset this morning to find out the baby wasn't here yet.

2 comments:

Randy and Christine said...

I've heard since this post that you had some NOT-false labor. Congrats on Andrew!! Can't wait for the pictures :)

The Abraham Lamp Clan said...

Congrats...great name!