Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chi Town Weekend

When it rains it pours. We either have nothing to do for a weekend or a thousand things to cram into 2 days. This past weekend was one of those. Matthew and Adam both had birthday parties to attend on Saturday. Sunday was full with 3 baseball games. On top of all of that I was running a half marathon in Chicago on Sunday. We had to divide and conquer to get everyone where they needed to be and some things just got left out.

I headed to Chicago with Matthew, Andrew, and my cousin Lisa. Mike stayed home with Adam because he really wanted to go to the Laser Tag birthday party. Mike is also an assistant coach for Adam's team so it made sense for them to stay home for that. Matthew really wanted to go to Chicago and decided it was O.K. to miss a party. He would not have been able to go to his game anyway, they were at the same time as Adam's; can't be two places at once!

Packet pick-up for the race was at Navy Pier which was good and bad. It had been years since I had been out there site seeing. Matthew didn't remember the last time he was there because he was too small. He was really excited and took a lot of pictures. The bad part was parking but that is pretty much the case anywhere you go in Chicago. While we were walking around the Pier we found a Koren Product Show that was going on. It was free to the public and sounded funny so we walked around. There were some really cool electric cars that we sat in. There are a lot roomier than I thought they would be. We also saw robotic dogs dancing which was really funny and Matthew got to play some Koren video games. We really wanted to ride the Ferris wheel but the line was REALLY long and we didn't feel like waiting. Overall, Navy Pier was fun!





Sunday morning bright and early (5:00!)we were up to go to the race. Matthew and Lisa came along as my cheering section. They were great and gave me motivation when I needed it! Andrew got to spend some quality time with Aunt Sanida, Uncle John, and Erol. I think he had a great time!


A little stretch before we begin.

I am out there somewhere......

Mile 4...feeling pretty good.

Done!

The race was great and I can't wait to do it again next year. I finished in 2 hours and 27 minutes which I was really happy about considering I didn't really train for this one. I was hoping just to be able to finish so to be able to run the whole thing without having to walk was awesome. Look out next year!

No comments: